Mike Trout AND Albert Pujols To Play in 2015 MLB All Star Game!
Both Angels Mike Trout AND Albert Pujols will play in this years MLB All Star Game on Tuesday 7/14 in Cincinnati.
· 2015 marks just the 9th time in franchise history that at least two Halos have been named starters for the Midsummer Classic and first since Troy Glaus and Garret Anderson in 2003.
RISE OF THE MACHINE:
· 2015 represents Pujols’ 10th trip to the All-Star Game and first since 2010 as a member of the Cardinals
· Tabbed as a starter for the 8th time in his career…Is the 34th player to make at least eight All Star starts
o Named the starting first baseman for the 5th time in his career and is just the seventh player to accomplish the feat.
o Has appeared at five different positions during his ASG career: first base (5 starts), second base, third base, left field (1 start) and DH (2 starts).
· Is just the 16th player in the history of the All-Star Game start a game for both the American League and National League in his career…Former Angel Vladimir Guerrero is also on that list (N.L. – 2000 & 2002 as an Expo; A.L. – 2004-07 as a member of the Angels and 2010 with Texas)
o Is just the fourth first baseman to make starts in the Midsummer Classic for both leagues joining Prince Fielder (N.L. 2007 & 2011; A.L. 2012), Mark McGwire (N.L. – 1998-99; A.L. 1988-90 and 1992) and Dick Allen (N.L. – 1970; A.L. 1972 & 1974).
· Is just the third Halo first baseman to start in the All-Star Game: Rod Carew (1980-81 & 1983-84) and Wally Joyner (1986).
· Yesterday, Mike Trout was named to his fourth straight All-Star Game and third consecutive fan-selected start…Becomes the fourth Halo in club history to be named a starter in three straight Midsummer Classics, joining Rod Carew (1979-84), Reggie Jackson (1982-84) and Vladimir Guerrero (2005-07).
· Trout will join Ken Griffey Jr. (4 starts), Ted Williams, Ivan Rodriguez, Mickey Mantle, Al Kaline, Joe DiMaggio and Rod Carew as the only A.L. players to make at least three starts before their 24th birthday…Trout is also just the third A.L. outfielder to make four All-Star Games before his 24th birthday: Ken Griffey Jr., Al Kaline and Mickey Mantle.
Angels' Mike Trout To Start All Star Game, #2 in Overall ASG Vote
Mike Trout is an All-Star starter
Angels outfielder Mike Trout has been selected as a starter for the 2015 MLB All-Star Game on July 14 in Cincinnati at Great American Ball Park. Trout received 14,013,021 total votes, which was the second-highest total in all of MLB (trailing only Josh Donaldson of Toronto). The reigning AL Most Valuable Player will make his 4th consecutive All-Star appearance and 3rd consecutive fan-elected start after claiming the 2014 Ted Williams All-Star Game MVP at Target Field in Minnesota last summer.
Trout joins Hall of Famers Reggie Jackson (1982-1984) and Rod Carew (1979-1984), as well as Vladimir Guerrero (2005-2007) as the only Angels to earn at least three consecutive fan-elected starts. Trout is batting .300 with 21 home runs and 44 RBI in 81 games so far this season.